Who may register to vote in Morris County?
You are eligible to register if:
- You are a citizen of the United States
- You are a Morris County resident 30 days before the election
- You are a resident of the election district in which you expect to vote at the time of registration
- You will be 18 years of age on or before the next election
- You are not incarcerated, on parole, or on probation due to a conviction for an indictable offense under any federal or state laws.
How do I register to vote in Morris County?
You may register to vote by completing a registration application form at the Morris County Board of Elections’ office or by mail. Click here for printable form (en español). Forms are also available at any Municipal Clerk’s office, through the League of Women Voters, or other public agencies. For further information, please call the Board of Elections Office at (973) 285-6715 between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM.
When may I register to vote?
Anytime, however, in order to vote in any election, your registration must be received 21 days prior to the election in which you wish to vote.
New Voters in Morris County
Under the federally mandated Help America Vote Act (HAVA), You will be required to provide either the last four digits of your Social Security Number or your complete Driver’s License Number on the registration application.
How long is my registration valid?
Your registration will be valid indefinitely, if you have not moved from Morris County or have not been disenfranchised.
Must I declare a party affiliation when I register?
No, but you may fill out a Party Declaration form at that time, if you so choose.
If I move, how do I change my address?
- If you MOVE WITHIN MORRIS COUNTY more than 21 days before an election, you must file a written change of address with the Board of Elections’ Office.
- If you MOVE WITHIN MORRIS COUNTY less than 21 days before an election, you will vote in your new municipality, ward or district by Provisional Ballot. For your new polling location, you may call the Board of Elections’ Office at (973) 285-6715.
- MOVING FROM/TO ANOTHER COUNTY: If you move to another county more than 30 days before an election, you must re-register and vote in the new county. If you move to another county less than 30 days before an election, you may vote at your previous polling place in Morris County for only that election. You must then register in the county you reside.
What if I marry or change my name?
If you legally change your name, you may vote in the next election by signing your new name in the poll book. Then you must complete a Change of Name Notice. (Title 19:31-13)
When are elections held in Morris County?
- Primary Elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in June.
- General Elections are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
- Polls for the Primary and General Elections are open from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
Where do I vote?
Voting locations are listed on the face of your Sample Ballot.
For more information, contact:Commissioner of Registration
County of Morris
P.O. Box 900
Morristown, NJ 07963-0900Phone: (973) 285-6715
Fax: (973) 285-5208